Acceptance of Dual Citizenship applications and the application already approved and due to for payments are temporary discontinued until further notice
Department of Immigrazion & Emigration Sri Lanka
General Information: When a Sri Lankan obtains an Italian Passport, he/she should immediately call over this Embassy personally and handover the original Sri Lankan passport for cancellation. He/she is required to sign the “Declaration of Renunciation of Sri Lankan Citizenship Form” issued by this Embassy. After that the original passport will be sent back to the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo.
A signed copy of the “Declaration of Renunciation of Sri Lankan Citizenship Form” is also given to the person who obtains the Italian passport. These documents can be produced to the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo when an application for a Dual Citizenship is made by the person who obtains the Italian passport.
Alternatively, the person who obtained the Italian passport could handover the Sri Lankan passport directly to the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo, for cancellation .
Eligibility for the Acquisition of Dual Citizenship of Sri Lanka
Ex-Sri Lankans now holding foreign Citizenship or Sri Lankans qualified for grant of Citizenship of a foreign country, who have contributed to the socio - economic development of Sri Lanka.
Documents required: The statements in the application should be supported by an affidavit (Section E) made by the applicant before a Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner of Oaths. No stamp is required.
a. Applicant's Original Birth Certificate and a copy.
b. If the applicant is a citizen of Sri Lanka by registration, the relevant certificate and a copy.
c. If applicant is married, The Marriage Certificate and a copy.
d. Applicant's Foreign Citizenship Certificate/ Foreign Travel Document/ Permanent Residence Visa.
e. Applicant's current and / or previous Sri Lankan Passports and copies or an affidavit.
f. If applying under professional category, applicant's Educational/Professional Certificate and a copy(Minimum a two year Diploma / Trade Certificate from a recognized institute)
g. If applying under wealth category, original of the documentary proof of applicant's assets such as; lands or other immovable properties in Sri Lanka worth of Rs. 2.5 Million or above and a copy. Deed Valuation report extract and Title report for the same should be also submitted.
h. If applying under 2.5 million category original of the documentary proof minimum one year Fixed Deposit in a bank in Sri Lanka of an amount not less than 2.5 million.
i. If applying under age category, applicants over 55 years of age original birth certificate and a copy should be submitted.
j. If applying under fixed deposit US$ 25,000/- category, original of a fixed deposit certificate and a copy exceeding US$ 25,000 for a period of three years in a bank in Sri Lanka.
k. If applying under fixed deposit US$ 50,000/- category, original of a fixed deposit certificate and a copy exceeding US$ 50,000 for a period of three years in a bank in Sri Lanka.
l. If the documents referred to above are submitted without originals, they should be attested by the Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that county, or the nearest Sri Lankan Mission or Solicitor or a Justice of the Peace of the country in domicile.
Citizenship - Fees
Dual Citizenship Rs. [SL]
- • Applicant 200,000
- • Spouse 50,000
- • Children under 18 years when applied with parents - each - 50,000
- • Children over 18 years when applied with parents - each - 200,000
- • Those who apply under the category of NRFC/RFC/SFIDA/Dual Citizenship Accounts/Treasury bonds under TIERA and TIERA-D
- USD 25,000/- (03 yrs) - whole family - 200,000
- USD 25,000/- (05 yrs) - whole family - Exempted
- USD 50,000/- (03 yrs) - whole family - Exempted
Hand over application
- Each applicant should submit an application to the addresses given below or to the Embassy with the required documents, by personally calling over at the Embassy or at the Citizenship Division, Ministry of Defence, Department of Immigration and Emigration, 2nd Floor #41 Ananda Rajakaruna Mw Colombo 10 Sri Lanka
- To be made to the Citizenship Division on any working day between 9.00 a.m. and 3.00 p.m.
- Payments by Bank Drafts drawn in favour of the Controller General of Immigration and Emigration be sent directly to the Citizenship Division by Registered Post.
- Any applicant may make payments through a nominee on his/her behalf. Indication of official reference is required in all correspondence.
For further information such as “Dual citizenship fees” please visit the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka Web Site : www.immigration.gov.lk and click “Citizenship” and then “Dual citizenship”.